Borders College does not offer College managed student accommodation. For students wishing to make their own, independent arrangements for accommodation, Galashiels (and the surrounding area) has a fairly vibrant market in terms of suitable accommodation for students.
It is important to note that the College does not inspect any of the properties advertised and does not make recommendations or enter into any agreement on behalf of a student. Student Services staff are however happy to give you some advice and guidance should you want it.
Always try to look for a flat run by an accredited agency/landlord as they have committed to a higher standard of management. It usually takes several weeks to find accommodation so leave plenty of time and we would strongly advise against sending any money to secure a flat before seeing it in person.
Finding a private rented flat:
- Take your time and don’t just take the first flat you see
- Always view a property before you move in and try not to go alone
- Check with the owner what furniture and equipment will be included and all relevant licenses are in place
- If the owner says they will repair or replace any items before you move in, make sure you get this in writing
- Do not sign a lease if you are not 100% happy with it – it is a legally binding document
- Remember that an agency cannot charge you for viewing or enquiring about a property or for preparing a lease
- Ensure that any necessary licensing and registration is in place e.g. HMO Licence
Some local property search websites to consider:
Other useful websites include: