Care Aware – Support for Student Carers
Do you have unpaid caring responsibilities for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems?
At Borders College we are committed to promoting, supporting and safeguarding the wellbeing of students with unpaid caring responsibilities. We work closely with you and the people who support you to offer impartial advice and guidance to enable you to attend a college course and achieve your goals.
It is important to tell us if you are a Student Carer. Our commitment through our Care Aware service is to support you in every way we can; to assist in removing barriers and to help to ensure you have the best possible experience with us. You will have a named contact who will be your dedicated contact throughout your chosen programme of study.
What support am I entitled to?
Your named contact will support you to overcome any additional barriers created by any life circumstances which may affect your attendance, progression and achievement on your chosen programme of study.
If you tell us that you are a Student Carer we will:
- be there to provide you with help and advice about courses, funding, and support services;
- help make the transition to college as smooth as possible (this might be as simple as showing you around the campus before you become a student);
- guide you on your funding entitlement
- guide and support you during your studies, in a way that is seamless and invisible to others;
- listen and be responsive to your needs and what matters to you;
- help you to overcome any obstacles that arise or could become a barrier to success;
- be there when you need us and as a friendly face just to ask how you are doing;
- work in partnership with other staff e.g. Course Tutor, the Students’ Association, Support Agencies to help ensure you are listened to, supported, included, respected, achieving, nurtured, healthy, active, responsible and able to access the fullest range of services and opportunities.
Our Commitment to Student Carers
We are proud to be working with Carers Trust Scotland and working towards our 'Going Further' Recognition Award to show that we are committed to supporting Student Carers through their learner journey.
Get in touch!
Jen MacKenzie, Student Services Team Leader
- Telephone: 01896 662594
- Text: 07788 320 294
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: Facebook
There are a number of agencies which support student carers: